By Tyra Lamar, with photos by Todd Deveau
On June 24th, the Emory Neuroscience Program welcomed its first awards ceremony, an event that was long overdue. Our students and faculty have been prominent, not only in research, but in service, teaching, mentoring, outreach, and of course, hosting some awesome parties! This event was created as a tribute to the extraordinary talent and success in our Neuroscience community.
Our hosts for the evening, Jordan Kohn and Sara Freeman, made it a hilarious and engaging night with their stylish presentations of the awards (lovingly named the Golgi), complete with theme music for the nominees.
One of the highlights of the evening was our faculty member and former program director Yoland Smith’s sweep of both the Faculty Mentorship and Faculty of the Year Golgi awards. Congratulations to Yoland and all the other winners!
Special thanks go to our student hosts, Andy Jenkins, Gary Longstreet, and our illustrious program director Shawn Hochman for a great program, great food, great drinks, and a great reason to wear our long-neglected cocktail dresses and suits. This is sure to become a cherished event for years to come!
And now for the winners:
NS STUDENT AWARDS:
- Leadership Award: Paul Evans
- University Service Award: Laura Mariani
- Scientific Outreach Award: Katy Shepard
- Outstanding Early Achievement Award: Lauren DeBrouse
- Outstanding Scientific Achievement Award: Ming-fai Fong
- Excellence in Teaching Award: Nikki Sawyer
- Excellence in Mentorship Award: Chris Makinson
NS FACULTY AWARDS:
- Excellence in Mentorship Award: Yoland Smith
- Faculty of the Year: Yoland Smith
- Service Award: Ashley Sullivan